Sunday, April 4, 2010

Holy Week 2010, not so holy anymore.

It's funny when I was younger, I find Holy Week the most boring and most awkward week. I can't play. I can't even shout or make my voice louder and can't eat meat. It was also a scary week. There were beliefs that since Jesus Christ is dead, evil spirits are stronger and more powerful. It is as if they will hunt you.  I can't even move freely because I was afraid to get wounded. And if I do, it would take time to heal because the Healer is dead.

When I get a lil older, Holy Week became a general cleaning week. I remember my mama telling us that we have to get up early so we can finish everything. sabi nga ni mama, "minsan lang ako sipagin." So whenever she says "Go!", we have to do it.

But more than anything else, Holy week is just a stay-at-home-with-the-family week for us. We rarely go out or have an excursion during this time unlike other families do. I remember the first time we had an excursion during the holy week. It was a black saturday and I was asking the elders if it is ok to go out and have fun when Jesus christ is still dead.

Now, I noticed that this occasion has become more festive than peaceful. Instead of people reflecting and fasting, most of us go out of town for vacation, beach parties and have fun. And I am one of them. Though, I must say that I was never the type who participates in Senakulos or Pabasas. I didn't grow up doing the Bisita Iglesia and Stations of the Cross (just tried it this year). It's just sort of strange when you see that tradition is actually changing. And the change is something you can't really tell if it's good or bad. I just can't decide that.

Nevertheless, I am glad that there is a large amount of Filipinos in the provinces and some in the cities who continue the Holy Week tradition. I am not saying that I am ok with how they do it, like procession of the statues, I just think of it like paganism.

Although it seems that this occasion may not as holy as before, at least there is a part of you who still celebrated this event in the way you know how. Hope you still gave thanks regardless of who and what you believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment